Wednesday, July 30, 2014

East Coast Vacation Snapshots

I'm back from my East Coast excursion! My vacation began by spending 3 days in Disney World. The first day was spent in The Magic Kingdom, where I went on my favorite rides Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Jungle Cruise. As we were waiting on a looong, hot line to board Jungle Cruise clouds started rolling in and a loudspeaker announced, "If thunder and lightening occur 6 miles from the park outdoor rides will close for the safety of guests and staff." Thunder and lightening did occur...just as we were about to board the ride. We were able to use our Fast Pass for indoor rides that were still running and after an hour the outdoor rides reopened. Then, it was back in line for the cruise. Aboard our canopied steamer the skipper amused us with jokes as we saw a giant "python" and splashing "elephants"...

 


Unfortunately, the skies didn't clear for the Main Street parades, but clad in rain ponchos we did see "Celebrate the Magic" when Cinderella's Castle was transformed by holograms and fireworks...



The next day was spent at Epcot. We started in Future World by riding Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination (Figment cracks me up!), and Mission Space, a simulated adventure to Mars. I picked the less intense ride after I heard the more intense one contained bags for those experiencing motion sickness. My role was the pilot...


The other memorable event that occurred in Future World was the INTENSE downpour that started when we were deciding what ride to go on next. Making a mad dash to shelter, we waited out the rainstorm, then explored World Showcase. At the Mexican Pavilion, we took a boat ride through a pyramid and shopped in a plaza under a night sky filled with twinkling starts and lanterns...


 
Another favorite ride was Norway's Maelstrom, a journey on a viking ship through Norway's history, fjords, forests, and treacherous trolls.

I ate in Italy on a past visit so wanting to try something new we ate dinner in Germany's Biergarten. Diners sit at communal tables as they listen to the oompa beat of a band...

 The buffet included chicken, bratwurst, schnitzel, salads, and desserts such as apple strudel.

At sunset, any remaining clouds disappeared as we waited for the "Illuminations" show to begin...

My camera was only able to photograph the torches around the lagoon being lit...


but, here's an online shot of the show...


Our last day in Disney was spent in Animal Kingdom, which was my fav park this visit. I loved the Kilimanjaro Safari where I got to see African animals up close and personal...





and cooling off on the Kali River Rapids...

 

 


I got to see old shows like The Lion King...




and a new Finding Nemo musical...



After Florida it was onward to south Georgia to visit my friend's family home and have a fish fry. The family home has two ponds where we fished. And, where I got stung by fire ants, critters this Yankee girl never encountered up north! I felt the buggers biting me, slapped them off my legs, ran inside to rinse and douse them with Deet, then changed into jeans, but it was too late...the next morning I woke up, my lower legs covered in itchy white blister-like things surrounded by red rings!


 I spent the ride to New Hampshire to visit my friend's home trying not to scratch and coating my legs in anti-itch creams and sprays. In New Hampshire, I swam and relaxed at Lake Mascoma...



I was staying about 15 minutes away from Vermont so also took day trips to Woodstock for a Bookfest and shopping and Queechee Gorge, where I hiked and took in the view...


Now that I'm back and unpacked I've begun planning for the new school year, making some new room decorations and laminating those already done. Hope everyone is enjoying summer!!!



2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a blast! I love finding other 3rd grade blogs!

    Adrienne
    Having Class

    ReplyDelete